Here is my Larabar-esque version of a German Chocolate Cake Bar. Hope you like it!
German Chocolate Cake Bars
- 1 cup cashews (6 oz)
- ½ cup pecans (2 oz)
- 2 cups unsweetened, unsulfured shredded coconut (3 oz)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (1 oz)
- 2 Tbsp cocoa or carob powder (I used Dagoba Cacao Powder) ( ½ oz)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp coffee flavor (I use Frontier, also found at Whole Foods)
- scant ½ tsp sea salt
- 8- 12 pitted dates (depends on your desire for sweetness- I used 8 because I like mine a little less sweet- you can also use between 1 ½ - 2 ¼ oz of dates or date paste and get the same consistency)
- Blend all ingredients in the food processor or Vitamix (no higher than power 3 using the tamper), scraping the bowl as needed.
- When a dough-like ball forms, press into an 8” square glass pan and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Cut and serve!
Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays (also check out Amy's link to sign the petition for the FDA to properly label gluten-free food. So important for those who suffer from Celiac Disease and gluten sensitivities- which does not affect me or my husband (we have been thoroughly tested) but many more people than you think! If you think you have gluten sensitivities check out your options for assessing whether or not you do: get tested at a lab like this one here, try an elimination diet, and make sure to get under the care of a doctor or naturopathic physician who knows how to treat such sensitivities)* Sugar Free Sunday - check out this refined-sugar free virtual pot luck!