Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Sweet Potato Crisps- Two Ways


Well, since I haven't posted anything cooked here yet, well, besides this bread post. I decided this middle-of-the-road food blog needed some cooked veggies to round out the raw posts and smoothies :) So I have posted my two favorite ways to cook sweet potatoes. Technically these are cooked a little past "roasted", and too thick to be "chips" - thus the title Sweet Potato "Crisps". If you just want to roast them, that's fine- sometimes I over-crisp the cinnamon ones on purpose because I like the burnt caramel flavor the sugar from the sweet potatoes makes :)

Here are two ways to cook this fabulous root vegetable: one a spicy barbeque flavor, and another one more sweet, yet savory. Feel free to pump up the spices in these recipes. I don't think I make them the same way twice, but I made sure to get the recipe pretty middle-of-the-road as far as spicy goes. So if you like it hot, add more chipotle seasoning for the BBQ sweet potatoes. And if you love cinnamon pump it up in the others!

Cinnamon Sweet Potato Crisps: serves 2-3

Ingredients and Materials

- 2 medium to large sweet potatoes (about 1 lb.)

- 2 T grapeseed oil

- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon

- ½ scant tsp ground cumin

- 1/8 tsp Celtic sea salt, fine ground (or about two pinches)

- Medium sized bowl

- 9” x 13”-ish pan lined with parchment paper or foil


Method

- Preheat oven to 400°

- Wash and cut the sweet potatoes into approximately 1” squares that are ¼“ thick (what really matters is that they are all about the same size and thickness)

- Mix the oil, cinnamon, cumin, and salt in a medium bowl.

- Place sweet potatoes in bowl and stir until all are evenly coated.

- Pour onto lined pan and make sure they are evenly spaced. I try to get all of them to be touching the pan like so…

- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes, or until browned slightly, and edges are crispy. Also, it helps to stir them around half-way through.

BBQ Chipotle Sweet Potato Crisps: serves 2-3

Ingredients and Materials

- 2 medium to large sweet potatoes (about 1 lb.)

- 2 T grapeseed oil

- 1 tsp smoked paprika*

- 1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt, fine ground

- ¼ tsp ground pepper

- ½ tsp Chipotle rub (I use Urban Accents brand) or ¼ tsp. plain chipotle powder and you may need to increase the salt since rubs usually have salt in them

- Medium sized bowl

- 9” x 13”-ish pan lined with parchment paper or foil

Method

- Preheat oven to 400°

- Wash and cut the sweet potatoes into approximately 1” squares that are ¼“ thick (what really matters is that they are all about the same size and thickness)

- Mix the oil and all the spices, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.

- Place sweet potatoes in bowl and stir until all are evenly coated.

- Pour onto lined pan and make sure they are evenly spaced. I try to get all of them to be touching the pan like so…

- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes, or until browned slightly, and edges are crispy. Also, it helps to stir them around half-way through.

* Please note: If you make this recipe with regular paprika it will not have the barbecue-like flavory goodness! (I have tried, once when several stores were out at once- I won’t make them with regular again!) Smoked paprika can be found at most grocery stores on the spice isle.

This recipe is a part of Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays at SS & GF

2 comments :

  1. I never used to really like sweet potato until I started roasting them. I'm really like how you have both sweeter and savoury versions of these crisps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumpkin, I am really glad that you are writing some of these recipes down. I look forward to avoiding the following conversation:
    "Hey David can you make ______?"
    "Uh....sure, how do I do that?"
    "Just add (insert list of 20 ingredients here), mix (insert 6 of the ingredients here) in a bowl, then mix in (another ingredient)...etc."
    "Uh....."
    "David, it's not that hard."
    "Well, how much of (one of the ingredients) do I use?"
    "You know, just add a little."
    "Well, how much is a little?"
    "I don't know David, just pour it for three seconds."
    I am of course exaggerating for those of you reading this, but it is not easy taking directions from a natural! These recipes will save me a lot of trouble, thanks Pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs