Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

I Spy....Vegetables and Legume Recipes: Ingredients 201

photo via P90x website

In setting out to inform the masses (you all :) about what new things to try/ buy from the store, it occurred to me that I can't just tell you about the ingredients without tempting you to try them in a recipe. So today, I will be featuring different sites' recipes for Veggies and Legumes in the second installment of my "Ingredients" series (Ingredients 101, here).

Let's talk vegetables! Our mom's always said to eat them, but they never quite rivaled the promised dessert you would get to eat if you simply ate more veggies. I'm glad to have grown out of that phase; wanting the "treat" over the health. I must say that over the last couple of years, I have fallen in love with vegetables of all kinds, from raw to baked, to sauteed. And from time to time, I'll come up with a "treat" recipe for them. Here are some vegetables by category, and don't forget to check out the recipes for each one that are out there in the blogosphere.

Cruciferous (Brassicas, etc)

  • Cabbage (Napa, Chinese, Savoy, Red, White) - try this coleslaw
  • Kale (Laciniato/ Dinosaur, Curly leafed) - "Chips" made from this
  • Collard Greens
  • Brussels Sprouts - Gratin made with these, I will be trying this with GF crumbs and Daiya cheese and coconut milk :)
  • Kohlrabi - Raw "Fries" made from this- I have tried this recipe before, not too bad
  • Broccoli
  • Cauliflower - I happened to stumble upon this raw recipe for Mexican "Rice" with this - made it tonight and it was great, my husband (a non-raw eater) asked for seconds
  • Bok Choy - great sauteed!
  • Radishes (Red, Daikon)
  • Arugula
  • Watercress
  • Turnips, and their greens
  • Rutabaga - I make this into mashed potatoes, topping with Turkey Bacon and Chives

Other “Leafies”

Bulbs and Stems (Root Veg)

  • Asparagus
  • Celery
  • Fennel
  • Garlic
  • Onion
  • Shallots
  • Leeks

Other “Root” Vegetables

“Fruits” That are called Vegetables

Legumes (Podded Vegetables)

Most Vegetables I buy can be found at Whole Foods, Trader Joes, or Costco (although I have only found carrots and spinach that are organic). Also, try your local Asian or International market for some goods like Galangal root or bean sprouts for Thai and other Asian dishes.

Look around and check out those recipes, and don't be afraid to try something you never have or you thought you didn't like... your taste-buds may have changed since you were six :).

Happy Hunting,
Eryn

No comments :

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs