Pages

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Favorite food Products (that I don't have to make) and Black-bottom Peanut Butter Pie


Stores are better than when I first started eating gluten and dairy free.  Now we are a gluten/dairy/and egg and mostly-almond and soy free home since my children's allergies are added into the mix.  The last few years have brought about a huge upswing in the "healthy" section of even main-stream grocery stores which has brought more options for us to more convenient locations.  I still read labels and check ingredient lists.  I know that just a "[insert whatever]-Free!" label does not mean it's necessarily healthy.  There are some things, though, that I get excited about because of their ingredient lists and their lists of Free's!  I thought I would share some of my favorite things that can be found in most grocery stores that me and my family are currently loving to eat.

First Up:  Luna & Larry's Coconut Bliss Ice Creams
I am not the biggest fan of other Coconut milk ice creams.  They are fine, but after you taste Coconut Bliss you will understand!  Hands-down favorite is Vanilla Island.  Also a big fan of Dark Chocolate.  Click here to find where they sell near you!  Luna & Larry's cares about sustainability and their products are non-GMO.  This is a quality brand ice cream that stands up to it's dairy-version counterpart in creaminess and goodness (and with minimal ingredients)- you won't be disappointed (no they aren't paying me :)!
Strawberries + Vanilla Island make a dreamy milkshake.  Add YL Jade Lemon and you have a yummy Strawberry lime-aide milkshake.  Another fav way to use this ice cream is alone side a warm piece of fruit pie (gf ready-made pice crust recommendation below). 
Second:  Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Morsels
Enjoy life, a free of top eight allergen company, has finally come out with Dark Chocolate Morsels!  I used them in the pie recipe below and they work really well for recipes that call for melting chocolate.


Third:  Wholly Wholesome Gluten-free Pie Crusts [ready made y'all!]
These come in a two pack, are dairy/egg/nut free, and are made in a certified gluten/dairy/tree-nut free facility.  I use these for everything from the yummy pie below to chicken pot pies.  Tip: Since they come in a two pack you can thaw for 20 min and prepare your chicken pot pie, fill and flip the other pie crust on top!  I have even seen these at two Kroger stores so they are in a lot of places!

Black-Bottomed Peanut Butter Pie 

(gluten/dairy/egg free and vegan, no-bake)

Ingredients

Method
  • Refrigerate your coconut milk can overnight.  I usually store about 6-8 in the refrigerator when I get home from the store.  You can buy a case of it for less than $2 a can from Whole Foods, the store's brand.
  • Prepare pie crust according to the package directions.  I let thaw for 10 minutes and poke a few fork holes in before baking for 10 minutes.  Directions for baking the shell are on the package.
  • Meanwhile, over a double boiler or stainless or glass bowl over a small pot of simmering water, melt the chocolate, coconut milk and butter alternative together.
  • Remove from heat when combined and melted.
  • Blend the peanut butter or almond butter, coconut milk fat (removed from the top of the can after refrigerating), and coconut oil in a high powered blender for 30 seconds until everything emulsifies together.
  • When crust has cooled some, pour in the chocolate layer and freeze for 10 minutes. (reserve some chocolate for swirling on top if desired)
  • Then pour in the nut-butter layer and refrigerate for 20 or more minutes.
  • Enjoy!  Can be stored in refrigerator for up to a week.




No comments :

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs