Pages

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Watermelon Summer Recipes


Well, we have officially been living in Memphis for over a month now.  Can't believe it!  Also, still have not gotten back in the full swing of cooking most meals for the family at home.  We are still doing much better here than in the last few months of house showings and moving a few states away.

Have any of you ever moved before?  It is heinous!  If I ever judged how much someone complained when selling, moving, and buying their home I repent in sack-cloth and ashes!  It was one of the hardest things I have done, and I feel like my "hardest things" repertoire is quite extensive!



So in the vein of not wanting to use my brain to think of new food, I went back and took a look at some old recipes to jazz up a bit.  I have several classic watermelon summertime recipes, and I have included two here along with their new spins.  I love adding raw recipes in any way I can these days and these definitely do the trick.  And easy- also very easy.  That is my criteria for recipe making these days!

Red, White, and Blueberry Watermelon Salad (gfcf, raw, vegan, paleo-friendly)

The original recipe calls for 1/4 cup fresh mint, however, later in the summer my mint seems to not be up for all the growing!  If you have fresh mint in your garden it's nice to add a few leaves, chopped up.  However, I have revamped this using Young Living essential oils and the taste it much fresher!

Ingredients

  • watermelon cubed, about 12 cups (from a 7 or 8 pound watermelon weighed with rind on)
  • 2 cups fresh blueberries
  • 2 drops YL Peppermint essential oil**
  • 3 drops YL Jade Lemon essential oil* (can substitute 1 Tbsp lemon or lime juice)

Method

  • Cube the watermelon, and be sure to pour in the extra juice if it's a juicy melon!
  • Finely chop the mint leaves.
  • Toss mint and watermelon with the blueberries and lemon juice in large bowl.
  • Serve immediately or let sit for a while so the flavors meld together better.
  • This can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 6 days.
** Note:  I don't recommend adding more than 2 drops for the whole recipe as Peppermint is a "hot oil" and can feel warm to the skin.  There is no fat in this recipe to cut the peppermint with so 1-2 drops is plenty.  If you or your kids eat on the messy side like mine and they drip some, 2 drops should still be just fine:)  

Bubblegum Ice cream (gfcf, raw, vegan, paleo-friendly) 

The original recipe here was also super easy.  But if you want to skip the freezing-before steps, or you don't have a high powered blender, just blend room temp and then process in your ice cream maker.  My kids absolutely love this recipe.  It is their hands-down favorite "ice cream" I make (more of a sorbet really) ;) 

Ingredients 

  • 2 frozen ripe bananas
  • 3 cups watermelon, chopped into chunks, de-seeded and frozen (if using seedless the white seeds are fine)
  • 2-4 drops YL Spearmint (not peppermint) essential oil*

Method 

  • The night before, freeze the watermelon and bananas- chopping them into chunks first for easier processing.
  • When ready to eat the ice cream, simply put all ingredients into a high powered blender (I use Vitamix) and puree. (This will also work in a food processor- but will have to process with the s-blade in 2-3 batches)
  • If not freezing, just blend all ingredients in a blender and process according to your ice cream maker directions.
  • Serve immediately
My two photo-shoot helpers enjoying the rewards of their hard work ;)





*All recipes using essential oils on this blog are specific to Young Living essential oils only.  I cannot give recommendations and suggestions on any oils but Young Living's essential oils.  The statements made on this blog about Young Living Essential Oils have not been evaluated by the FDA.  These products and information are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.  Anyone pregnant, nursing, or suffering from disease or injury should consult with a physician.  If you are currently on medication, please do not stop.  It's always good to do your own research.  I have done mine for my family and we chose to incorporate YL essential oils into our lives.  If you are wanting to follow and do the same, please visit here for more information. 

1 comment :

  1. This looks amazing! And yes - I feel you on hard and moving - we are only part of the way there and it is so hard!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs