Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

I'm Back!


Hello to all who happen to read this blog. If you have all given up hope and just two people are still checking in (and, yes, one of you is my mom and the other is probably my husband :), that's OK with me...I'm just so happy to finally be posting again :)

Here is what has happened with me/us in the last month or so:
  • We went from a family of 2 to 5 overnight.
  • We moved...yes moved our house... with three children, 4, 2, and 1!
  • We started new schools, we chased down their identification info, we went to doctors appointments- at least 2 a week! for everything from lice to the flu to the dentist.
  • I got sick, then my husband got sick, then I got sick again.....and the cycle kept repeating.
  • We have been adjusting and despite all the craziness and the total life change, I wouldn't trade these three sweet kiddos for the whole world! I cannot believe how much I love them!
Thus, no blog posts in over a month!

So if you noticed, there is a picture of a yummy cake I made my husband for his birthday last night. His birthday is actually on Halloween, but since we will be joining the world of trick-or-treating tomorrow, we celebrated tonight. Baby girl helped me out with making his "birthday", which she really meant was his birthday cake because she likes to call the cake a "birthday". She most likely doesn't remember her birthdays being celebrated with a party and a cake so we are working on explaining that concept :) He loves apples and pumpkin, so I combined the two into one cake.

I hate that I have missed out on so much blogging during the month of Pumpkin! Given the name of this blog, you would think I would have monopolized on that :) I have a lot of new recipes...but finding time to share them and blog is a whole other story! Here's hoping to sharing more with you soon!

Apple Pumpkin Spice Cake

This recipe is vegan and gluten free.

Makes: 1, 9" x 13" cake pan

Ingredients
Wet
  • 1 can of pumpkin puree or a scant 2 cups of sweet potato or squash puree (425 g)
  • 1 cup apple sauce (240 g)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup melted coconut oil (100g)
  • 6 large medjool dates, pitted (soaked in warm water- if not using a high powered blender)
Dry
  • 2 cups brown rice flour (or sprouted for a slightly sweeter taste, I mill mine in my vitamix from sprouted rice- 300 g)
  • 1 cup almond flour (again, freshly ground and sifted is best- 150 g)
  • 1 Tbsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp ginger
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp clove
  • 1/8 tsp garam masala spice
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
You will also need
  • 4 small-medium apples cored, peeled, and diced small
Method
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Sift the dry ingredients together to combine in a large bowl.
  • Puree all the wet ingredients together in a blender.
  • Add the wet ingredients to the dry until just combined, then stir in the whole apple pieces
  • Spread into a 9" x 13" greased cake pan.
  • Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
  • We served ours with some frozen yogurt, also would be good with this apple pie gelato or a yummy caramel sauce.
Happy Halloween,
Eryn

This recipe has also been linked up to:









4 comments :

  1. I'm so glad you're back and this cake looks divine! I'm especially happy for you and your new little family...what a blessing.
    I'm grain-free so I'm going to attempt this with substituting the rice flour with coconut flour...any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much. We feel blessed. We do such few grains (and mostly sprouted ones) that I like to throw in rice flour every now and then for structure. It gives the cake a kind of a cornmeal-like texture. I have been meaning to try this recipe with all almond flour to see if I can get a similar result. If you are subbing coconut flour for rice I would start with less because it tends to yield a drier cake. Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad to see you back! This cake looks really good!

    I nominated you for an award! http://mamajshome.blogspot.com/2011/11/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know that you're still around and alive! I'm glad to hear that things are starting to settle down a bit with your new family! :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs