Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

Red, White, and Blueberry Watermelon Salad


Happy Fourth of July, my American friends! So technically there is not any "white" in this salad, but it was such a tasty throw together for our Fourth of July dinner that I had to post it and give it a festive holiday name.

I made this recipe for a crowd (10ish people), feel free to half or quarter the recipe for a smaller audience :) Here's hoping you and yours don't have thunder clouds rolling in like we do here in Atlanta. Hope to get to see the fireworks tonight!

Red, White, and Blueberry Watermelon Salad

Serves a crowd (If just making for a family of 4, I would half the recipe)Ingredients
  • watermelon cubed, about 12 cups (from a 7 or 8 pound watermelon weighed with rind on)
  • 2 cups fresh blueberries
  • 1/4 cup finely packed fresh spearmint or peppermint leaves (I used a combo, since both are growing on my porch- but spearmint has a milder flavor)
  • 1 tsp lime or lemon juice
Method
  • Cube the watermelon, and be sure to pour in the extra juice if it's a juicy melon!
  • Finely chop the mint leaves.
  • Toss mint and watermelon with the blueberries and lemon juice in large bowl.
  • Serve immediately or let sit for a while so the flavors meld together better.
This post has been linked up to Seasonal Sunday @ Real Sustenance . Check out other seasonal recipes there!

Happy Independence Day,
Eryn

3 comments :

  1. If you REALLY wanted some white, you could top with a touch of whipped cream! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie, yes, that's a great idea (except for me, it would need to be coconut cream because I can't do dairy :). I thought about counting seeds in the watermelon, since they are white!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs