Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Moroccan Millet

I think I have mentioned before my love for Thai food. Well, before there was Thai, I had another food-love: Moroccan food! I haven't made anything Moroccan inspipred lately so tonight I decided to make a side dish that was sort of like Moroccan couscous. I chose millet, but this recipe could easily be made with couscous as well.

We had this Moroccan Millet with mahi mahi topped with a rub from a place called Savory Spice shop. When I lived in Colorado, I LOVED this place...and fortunately for me...and you!...they ship their yummy spices, extracts, and so much more. I sound like a paid advertisement- I'm not. I just really love/ miss that place. If you are ever in the Boulder/ Denver area it's a neat place to visit/ stock up on some good quality spices :)
Moroccan Millet
Serves 2-3
Ingredients
- 2 T olive or grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground clove
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Pinch of cardamom
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½” piece of ginger root, grated (I use a Microplane, or you could use ½ tsp ground ginger)
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 clementine or small orange (also can sub 2 Tbsp orange juice)
- Vegetable broth
- ½ cup uncooked millet
- 1/2 red or green bell pepper, diced
- ½ zucchini, diced (or broccoli would be nice too)
- ½ cup raisins or chopped dates (optional)
Method
- In small saucepan heat the oil.
- Add the cumin, clove, cinnamon, turmeric, cardamom, salt, ginger and onion and sauté until the onion is translucent about 3-5 minutes over medium heat
- Then add the minced garlic and chopped pepper and sauté another minute or so
- In a blender or food processor, puree the clementine. Then add enough vegetable broth to make 1 ½ cups of liquid
- Add this liquid when the garlic is done sautéing and bring to a boil
- Add the millet and lower the heat to a simmer. Cook covered for about 25-30 minutes (this may vary based on your millet cooking instructions)
- Add the ½ zucchini and raisins or dates (if using- we don’t add these but they would make the dish more completely Moroccan :), fluff, and serve right away
- We had ours with Mahi-mahi fillets topped with Limnos Lamb Rub from Savory Spice Shop to complete the Mediterranean-themed dinner!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs