Saturday, December 31, 2011

Year in Review and Liebster Lovin'

Well, as I sit here at 10:40 pm on December 31, 2011 and think about how badly I want to sleep (yes, even though it is new years...actually we just realized it was New Years Eve a couple of hours ago after we put the kids to bed!), I want to be blogging more than sleeping. I miss blogging.

It has been a huge adjustment into motherhood of three.

Take this morning, for example:
Huge plans of making mickey mouse pancakes, of the pumpkin chocolate chip variety. A total blog-worthy recipe and a cute picture could have been arranged; however, the meal took about 2 hours to complete. Poor baby boy was so hungry and cranky by 9:30 this morning when everything was finally ready for breakfast that I just didn't have the heart to try and take a picture or write anything down so I could blog about it later...even if the pancakes did turn out somewhat more like Winnie the Pooh and Mickey! (And, yes, I did give him a snack while he waited. By the time he actually ate he only had 1 ear left :).

But I would not trade any detail of our lives currently for any extra blogging time! I'm ending the year satisfied with my first year of blogging. In fact I'd like to share some things I learned this year as I reflect...

Here are some food-related things I learned in 2011:

  1. You can make baked goods with absolutely no sugar that actually taste good. Yes, even without sweeteners like agave, honey, stevia, and all the rest!
  2. Creativity does not have to die when you become a mom! Even though time seems to be much more limited to blog about what your creativity came up with ;)
  3. My body only gets “smarter” the healthier it gets. You know how after college, you begin to see your metabolism slow so you go on a diet….then you have an end goal of something like “if I lose 15 pounds by say, Christmas, then I can start eating whatever I want again. The old 2 weeks of salads then I can go back to eating doughnuts like I did in college mentality! Well, I guess at 29 I’m just now realizing that this mentality is a farce. Why it took me this long I have no idea, but at least I’m on the road toward health and well-being more for, well, health and well-being than for getting to “cheat”.
  4. Kids eat about as much as adults do. Weird, I know! When I didn’t have kids and I started to think about how much money we would spend on their food I just thought, “Well just a bit more than what we spend a month should do it because they just eat about half as much as we do right? I mean they weigh about 1/5 of my body weight…surely they can’t eat more than me???” Man was I way off track about how much kids can pack away the food!
  5. I see now why mom's drink coffee in the mornings! Most mothers I know usually say something like, "Oh, I never liked coffee until I had kids!" Well, I know that I like coffee. Too much. So in an effort to not become reliant upon the stuff I try to have something bitter in the mornings. A little kale in the morning smoothie goes a long way towards waking me up!
  6. The world of food blogging has totally changed the way I cook. I love seeing what other bloggers come up with and share. They make me better in the kitchen!

And on that note, I was awarded the Liebster Blog Award by two other bloggers:

  1. Jacqui @ Mama J's Home
  2. Raj @ Flip Cookbook

Thank you both for mentioning me on your blogs! Be sure to check out their blogs for a wide variety of interesting recipe ideas! "Liebster" is a German word meaning "beloved" or "dearest". The Liebster Award is for blogs with fewer than 200 followers. It's a nice way to show appreciation for those who have been putting forth the effort of time and care with their blogs posts and recipes. And while currently, that does not include me, especially since my last post was early November, I'm all the more appreciative of their kindness in passing on the award to me!

To accept the award you have to do the following:

  • Thank the person who awarded you on your blog.
  • Link back to the person who awarded you.
  • Select 5 top picks for the award.
  • Inform your top 5 by leaving a comment on their blog.
  • Post the Award on your blog.

I’m passing on this award to 5 bloggers that I have been following and admire for their creativity, readability, and most of all yummy recipes!

And just because...here are my top six most popular recipe posts of 2011. Enjoy!

German Chocolate Cake Bars

Dairy-free, Refined Sugar-free Swiss Buttercream and Mocha Zucchini Cake (2 posts, 1 cake)

Strawberry Icebox Pie

Quinoa Coconut Cake with Summer Berries

Strawberry Shortcake with Vegan Frozen Yogurt




2 comments:

  1. First - thanks so much for the award! :)

    Second - I'm glad that things are going well with your kids despite being so busy!

    Third - I agree that your body definitely gets smarter as you eat healthier. It's like "what the heck are you putting in me? bah!"

    Fourth - I hope you have a fantastic new year and a second year of blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Eryn! I'm the mom of three vacuum cleaners - oops, I mean children who eat a lot - and let me tell you, life gets a lot better when they get big enough to fix their own food!! Best of luck to you in the New Year, and I'm looking forward to reading more of your yummy recipes :)

    Lisa @ Allergy Free Vintage Cookery

    ReplyDelete